This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.
There’s a reason why Chicago is my favorite big city for a family trip… the many FREE activities you can do! My little family and I recently came back from a mini weekend getaway to the Windy City and here are some of my favorite activities to do.
- Maggie Daley Park – this is my favorite place to let my kids run loose and explore. Its like a mini theme park but its actually a huge area. It’s got some thing for every kid in every age group. It’s located right above the Millennium Park Lakeside Garage (where we park for the day) so it’s not that far of a walk for us and right across from Millennium Park so getting there is a breeze. This is a great big park for kids and if you get there on a day where it’s not so busy, then you’ve hit the jackpot!
- The Crown Fountain – Once you’ve out-played Maggie Daley Park, you should take a short walk over to The Crown Fountain and relax. Let your kids run through the cool water in this awesome “water skin” pool and see their curious faces look at the faces on the two 50 foot towers that shoots out water from their mouth. Its a refreshing time out on a hot summer day. Remember to pack swimsuits and towels and extra sets of clothes/shoes.
3. Chicago Riverwalk – We went on a bad weekend to Chicago. It was Taste of Chicago and it was SUPER busy. So we didn’t get a chance to walk the river walk like I had wanted but we did manage to view some beautiful architecture on our walk over to Ramen-San (one of my favorite restaurants). Anakin was in awe of the big buildings and the river.
4. Lincoln Park Zoo – We have never been here but it’s a free zoo and I hear it’s a pretty awesome zoo. It’s on our to do list the next time we come down! We decided to skip it this time because we had already planned to head to the Milwaukee Zoo on Sunday on our way back home.
5. Cloud Gate (aka: The Bean) – We didn’t get to it this time because of the Taste of Chicago traffic but we like taking the kids here to take pictures. It’s a staple of Chicago and you have to come here just for a photo-op!
So there you have it! My list of 5 free things to do in Chicago for families. If you’d like to see my video footage of our trip, check out the clip here and subscribe to my channel. Make sure you come back later to see how I packed for our mini get-away plus more pictures of what we did the rest of the weekend.